- Repository of socio-economic survey, census, and polling data from Statistics Canada, Ipsos Reid, Gallup, etc.
- Authorized users:
- Mobile support:
- Resource type:
- Business resource type:
- Survey data since the 1970s; census data since 1871; polling data since the 1940s
- Database interface:
A searchable repository of socio-economic survey, census, and polling data from Statistics Canada, Ipsos Reid, Gallup, and other sources.
How to browse
(Useful for first-time users.)
- Click on <odesi> Repository (Nesstar) in the top-left corner of the the screen.
- Click on a category in the left-hand menu to browse <odesi>’s resources.
- Click on the statistical table icon beside the resource you are interested in. Read the abstract to determine if it is useful to your research.
- For most surveys, click on Metadata to get information about the resource, such as survey methods and codebooks.
- For most surveys, click on Variable Description to analyze data:
- Click on a variable to see the question that was asked and the frequencies of all possible responses.
- Click on Tabulation at the top of the right-hand panel to create cross-tabulations. Then click on your desired variables and add them to rows or columns.
- Click on the Weighting Icon (i.e., the scale) in the top-right corner of the window to ensure that your survey sample is representative of the entire population.
- Export your tables by clicking on the Save Icon (i.e., the disk) in the top-right corner of the window.
How to search
- Add your terms into the search box.
- Choose to search variable names, survey titles, abstracts, etc., in the pulldown menu.
- Refine your search by focusing on certain collections or date ranges.
- Click Search. Your results will show survey titles and snippets of information that are based on your search.
- Click Explore and Download to access the entire survey or poll, tabulate data, and download file.
- Click View Matching Variables to see variables where your terms appear.
- Click Abstract to read a short summary on the survey or poll in which your terms appear.
How to get help
- Watch this 2-minute tutorial to see how use this search interface.
- Contact the Laurier Information Desk for help.
- Contact the Data Librarian for help.
WARNING: Unless noted otherwise, data available through <odesi>, Gallup, Ipsos Reid and ICPSR sites are available for use only to current Wilfrid Laurier University faculty, students and staff, for research and teaching purposes. Data users may not develop or derive for commercial sale any other product in machine-readable form that incorporates or uses any substantial part of the data available through these sites.
- Subjects covered:
- Business Technology Management
- Political Science
- Social Work
- Subject guides:
- Alternate titles:
- Scholars Portal's odesi
- Ontario Data Documentation, Extraction Service and Infrastructure Initiative
Unless noted otherwise, data available through <odesi>, Gallup, Ipsos Reid and ICPSR sites are available for use only to current Wilfrid Laurier University faculty, students and staff, for research and teaching purposes.