- Requesting Items and Accessibility
- Waterloo - Pickup and Returns
- Kitchener - Pickup and Returns
- Brantford - Pickup and Returns
- Frequently Asked Questions
The Library provides access to our print collections through a delivery van service called Books to Go.
As of January 2022, users can only pick up requested items at the main service desk at the Waterloo campus and the Brantford Public Library.
A quick overview of the service:
- This service is available to Laurier students, faculty, and staff
- Requests can be placed in Omni (see the Requesting Items and Accessibility)
- Print items are loaned for 120 days with unlimited renewals
What is Included?
You can request books and most circulating physical materials located at the Waterloo and Kitchener (Faculty of Social Work) Libraries and Laurier books held in the Brantford Public Library.
See the Frequently Asked Questions link for more information on which collections the service covers.
How it Works:
- Request your item (see Requesting Items and Accessibility link above)
- When your item is ready for pick up you’ll receive an Item Ready for Pickup notice in your email
- You can pick up your item at any time during building open hours
- Return your item when you’re done using it. See instructions for Waterloo Pickup and Returns, Kitchener Pickup and Returns, and Brantford Pickup and returns above
How to Request Items
- You can request found through Omni
- Borrowing and lending of print books and materials is available from all 15 Omni libraries in Ontario
- After locating the Laurier item, select Laurier Users, sign in using your Laurier Single Sign On (SSO) credentials
- You will see the following request options:
- For items held at Laurier – Borrow from Laurier Library
- For items available from another Omni Library – Get it from another library
- Select Wilfrid Laurier University from My University in Pickup University
- Select the campus location where you would like to pick up your items: Waterloo, Kitchener or Brantford
- Add a Not Needed After Date and Comment if desired
- Click Send Request
- You will see a Your request was successfully placed message and also be able to see your request in your Omni library account
Contact your subject librarian for help finding resources in Omni or finding alternative resources for those not yet available through the Books to Go service.
Request processing and notices
- You will receive a Books to Go item available for pick up notice by email when your requested item is ready for pick up
- Requests will be processed as they come in
- You will receive notification for a pickup for each requested item available
- You may pick up your items at any service desk during the building open hours for the location requested
Requested Items can be Picked Up During Building Open Hours
Please note, if you are driving:
- Items are available from pick up at the User Services desk on the main floor of the Library (to your left off of the main entrance)
- Accessible parking spaces are located in Lot 42 (enter off Albert St.) and are also indicated on the map
- Bicycle parking is also available at the front of the library
- Go to the User Services desk and notify staff you are picking up your item
- You will be asked to scan your OneCard to complete pick up
- Self-check out machines are available for self-service
- Your items can be returned to the book bins at the entrance to the Waterloo library
- While you are going up and down the ramp please be conscientious of others and practice physical distancing. The ramp can only allow people to travel in one direction at a time with physical distancing in mind
- Returns can be done at any time
- Items requested through Omni or interlibrary loan (ILL) can be picked up from the Kitchener Faculty of Social Work library's service desk
- Users can also pickup items outside of library hours, following these self-service hold pick-up steps
- Step 1. Look for your books on the cart by the user services desk. They will be grouped together in a bag with your last name
- Step 2. Take the books
- Nothing else is required at this time
- Step 3. Library staff will contact you over the next week and confirm you picked up your books. Your loaned items will show up on your Omni account shortly after
- Items can be returned to the Kitchener Faculty of Social Work library
As of January 2022, requests placed in Omni with a Brantford Pickup location will be processed and delivered by the Brantford Public Library (Main Branch) at their service desk.
- You will continue to receive a notice when your requested item is available
- Pick up is available at the Main Branch during revised hours (Monday to Thursday 9:30am-8pm, Friday 9:30am-6pm, and Saturday 9:30am-5pm)
- No appointment is necessary when picking up your items
- You will need your OneCard to pick up your item
Please refer to Brantford Public Library’s Modified Services page for more information about the pickup and drop off process at Brantford.
- Your items can be returned to the book bins at the main entrance to the Brantford Public Library, 173 Colborne Street
- Returns can be done at any time
- 1. What collections are available through the Books to Go service?
- 2. What happens if I can't pick up my items right away?
- 3. How can I make a request for accessibility related to the Books to Go van service?
- 4. Can I still request items from other universities?
- 5. Is it safe for me to use the Books to Go service?
- 6. Can I return the items to the library?
- 7. Are the loan periods for materials still the same lengths of time?
- 8. When will the Library be open again for in-house use and pickup of items?
- 9. Could my item be recalled?
- 10. How long will my item be held?
- 11. Can Alumni, Community Borrowers, and others use the service?
1. What collections are available through the Books to Go service?
The following collections are available to Laurier users through the Books to Go van service:
The following non-circulating /short-term circulating collections are not available to Laurier users for delivery through the Books to Go van service at this time:
|Campus Location||Unavailable Collections|
|TUG and Omni collections||
2. What happens if I can't pick up my items right away?
- Requested items will be available for 14 days from the date of the Omni notice. Your items will automatically be available on the next pickup date.
- If it is not possible for you to come pick up your books, you may send a designate. For contact tracing purposes, please contact the library by email email@example.com or by our online form with your designate's name and contact email or phone number before they come to campus.
- If you need your items held for longer than 14 days please contact the Service Desk at firstname.lastname@example.org, by our online form, or chat with us on our website during operating hours.
3. How can I make a request for accessibility related to the Books to Go van service?
- If you require assistance (such as placing the items in the trunk of your vehicle) when picking up the item at one of our designated spots, please contact Library staff with your request.
- Please note, students requiring alternate formats of printed books in the library collection should contact the Library’s Accessibility staff. We have a number of options to draw upon in order to supply many of our print titles in an alternate format.
4. Can I still request items from other universities?
- Requesting from other institutions is currently available either through the library catalog by selecting "Not available locally, select more options" and choosing another institution using the catalog record or through RACER (Inter-library loan).
5. Is it safe for me to use the Books to Go service?
We are taking necessary precautions to ensure that materials on our shelves and those that are returned to us are safe to be handled by members of the public.
- If you are feeling unwell or if any member of your household is sick or in isolation, we ask that you refrain from borrowing library materials. This will help us all feel more comfortable and confident with the safety of our collections. Contact your subject librarian for help in finding electronic resources if you feel you should not borrow physical materials through the Books to Go van service.
6. Can I return the items to the library?
- Yes. Please see the tabs corresponding to location (Waterloo, Kitchener or Brantford) for further information on how to return materials to each of these locations.
7. Are the loan periods for materials still the same lengths of time?
- Yes, the loan periods for all Laurier items remains the same. Please see our Borrowing page.
8. When will the Library be open again for in-house use and pickup of items?
- The Library is following guidelines from the University, the provincial government of Ontario as well as local health authorities
- We are working extensively on planning for a phased approach to re-opening and reintroducing library services. Please check our Library COVID-19 Services update page for information.
- The Waterloo Campus library is currently open 10am to 5pm, Monday to Friday for book pickup and single-occupant study room bookings.
9. Could my item be recalled?
- Loaned material is not eligible for recall by users but staff reserve the right to recall physical items to support course readings or critical research needs.
10. How long will my item be held?
- Requested items will be available for 14 days from the date of the Omni notice. Your items will automatically be available on the next pickup date. It is not possible for a designate to pick up your books.
- If you need your items held for longer than 14 days please contact the Service Desk by email at email@example.com, or by our online form, or chat with us on our website during operating hours.
11. Can Alumni, Community Borrowers, and others use the service?
- Currently the service is only available for WLU Students, Faculty, and Staff.