What is ACE?
Accessible Content E-Portal (ACE) is a platform that provides access to a collection of books that have been digitized and made available online in accessible forms for universities participating in the service.
Laurier users who have registered with a documented print disability through Laurier’s Accessible Learning Centre may request a token from the ALC. This token allows Laurier users to access the ACE repository plus most e-books in Scholars Portal Books, in alternate formats. Tokens are cancelled after graduation.
How to Request Digitization of a Laurier Book into ACE
Laurier users may request alternate formats of print books. Laurier Library does NOT need to own the book in print. An alternate format version of the book will be made available in the ACE repository.
To request the digitization of a print book, fill in this service request form. A token from ALC is required.
Please allow a minimum of one week for the book to be digitized. It is best to start your research early! The Library’s ACE Coordinator will contact you once the book is available.
Search ACE for previously digitized titles
You may login, browse and search ACE through Scholars Portal Books.
- Start at https://library.wlu.ca/research-materials/databases/ace (Token required)
- Look for the red link to ACE in the upper right hand corner of the login page for Scholars Portal Books.
- Sign in to ACE using your token. Agree to the terms of service and then login.
- Before you type a search, select the availability button: “Everything, including books you may not have access to”
- Search Scholars Portal Books
- Note the drop-down menu under the word “Anywhere”. You can choose to search by title, author or keyword.
- Press Submit to search for book
- From the results list, click on chosen title and download the PDF
Learn more about how ACE works: https://ace.scholarsportal.info/
Learn how to search ACE: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IjQamzEE4z4
Other sources for alternate format ebooks
1. Access leisure reading titles through the Centre for Equitable Library Access (CELA) at Waterloo Public Library or your local public library: http://www.wpl.ca/digital-library
2. Search and download books from the Internet Archive's "Books for People with Print Disabilities" collection.
- Start at https://archive.org
- Type "Books for People with Print Disabilities" in the main search box
- Choose the icon for "Books for People with Print Disabilities from the list of results
- After connecting to the collection, look for the sign in button in the upper right corner of the screen
- Login (or register if this is first time using the collection)
- Next, click on the About tab
- Scroll down to ACE Portal and enter your ACE token.
- You will be taken back to the main page. Choose the Collection tab and use the search box at the left of the page to search for a title or author
- Choose the Borrow option to see options for downloading the book OR choose "Read Book" to page through an onscreen version of the book
- Alternatively, look to the download options on the lower right of the screen. Encrypted files in Epub, PDF or Daisy format are available.
- Staff at Laurier Library can request a DRM-free file on behalf of ACE users who require an unencrypted file to use with their preferred adaptive software. Use the ACE service request form above.