A dataset (also spelled ‘data set’) is a collection of raw statistics and information generated by a research study. Datasets produced by government agencies or non-profit organizations can usually be downloaded free of charge. However, datasets developed by for-profit companies may be available for a fee.
Most datasets can be located by identifying the agency or organization that focuses on a specific research area of interest. For example, if you are interested in learning about public opinion on social issues, Pew Research Center would be a good place to look. For data about population, the U.S. government’s Population Estimates Program from American Factfinder would be a good source.
An “open data” philosophy is becoming more common among governments and business organizations around the world, with the belief that data should be freely accessible. Open data efforts have been led by both the government and non-government organizations such as the Open Knowledge Foundation. Learn more by exploring The Open Data Handbook. There is also a growing trend in what is being called “Big Data”, where extremely large amounts of data are analyzed for new and interesting perspectives, and data visualization, which is helping to drive the availability and accessibility of datasets and statistics.
For information about citing data sets, please see this post from the APA Style Blog: How to Cite a Data Set in APA Style.
Google Dataset Search is a search engine across metadata for millions of datasets in thousands of repositories across the Web. Similar to how Google Scholar works, Google Dataset Search lets you find datasets wherever they’re hosted, whether it’s a publisher's site, a digital library, or an author's personal web page.
Dataset Search can be useful to a broad audience, whether you're looking for scientific data, government data, or data provided by news organizations. Simply enter what you are looking for, and the results will guide you to the published dataset on the repository provider’s site.
arXiv Open access to more than a million e-prints in Physics, Mathematics, Computer Science, Quantitative Biology, Quantitative Finance and Statistics.
- Association for Computing Machinery (ACM) The world's largest educational and scientific computing society, delivers resources that advance computing as a science and a profession.
- IEEE Largest technical professional organization dedicated to advancing technology through highly cited publications, conferences, technology standards, and professional and educational activities.
- Information Resources Management Association Scholarly, non-profit organization that publishes the open access Information Resources Management Journal.
- NIST Big Data Public Working Group Established together with the industry, academia and government to create a consensus-based extensible NIST Big Data Interoperability Framework (NBDIF) which is a vendor-neutral, technology- and infrastructure-independent ecosystem.
Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics (SIAM)
Professional organization dedicated to building cooperation between mathematics and the worlds of science and technology through our publications, research, and community.
Data Mining & Big DataBig Data Insights Informative page on the history and background of Big Data development. Links to trade articles. Data Mining: What it is and why it matters Informative page from SAS, company known for their development of statistical analysis software. Data Mining Group An independent vendor led consortium that develops data mining standards. Access the Predictive Model Markup Language (PMML) and the Portable Format for Analytics (PFA). Data World Provides a free platform for open source sharing data sets. FEDERAL AGENCY DATA MINING REPORTING ACT OF 2007 From the Office of the Direction of National Intelligence, this page provides the text of Public Law 110-53. Our World in Data An online publication that shows how living conditions are changing. Presents information through data visualizations and academic research. Retrieve Data from a Data Mining Model (DMX) (SSRS) Using SQL Server Analysis Services, this page provides instructions for creating a data source and dataset.
- CIO Magazine Daily news source serving Chief Information Officers (CIOs), other IT leaders, as well as the ecosystem that surrounds and interacts with them
- CNet Tracks all the latest consumer technology breakthroughs and shows what's new, what matters, and how technology can enrich your life.
- Computer Weekly Delivers news & analysis on the topics that matter; from the latest technical developments to the winning management strategies.
- Computer World Daily business and IT news source.
- Database Trends and Applications Online magazine covering data and information management, big data, and data science.
- Harvard Business Review: Technology Technology topics page from the HBR; full-text articles related to business technology.
- InformationWeek Business technology daily news source.
- IT World Offers technology decision makers, business leaders and other IT influencers a unique environment for gathering and sharing information that will help them do their jobs with efficiency and authority.
- KM World Supplies information regarding new & revolutionary technologies.
- MIT Technology Review Reporting on important technologies and innovators since 1899.
- Security The magazine for buyers of security, life safety & integrated products, systems & services in business, industry & government settings.
Brings together the reach of global and the depth of local, delivering 24/7 news coverage and analysis on the trends, technologies and opportunities that matter to IT professionals and decision makers.
- Americas Quarterly The leading publication on politics, business and culture in the Americas
- Barron's Provides useful market analyses and insights that readers can apply to make smarter, profitable investment decisions.
- Black Enterprise A magazine covering African-American business and entrepreneurship.
- Bloomberg Businessweek Reports on news, ideas and trends affecting industry and the economy for those in business management, with national and international coverage.
- The Economist Offers reporting, commentary, and analysis on world politics, finance, and business trends. Also covers science and technology, literature and the arts.
- Fast Company Provides information which empowers innovators to challenge convention and create the future of business.
- Financial Times Extensive news, comment and data analysis for the global business community.
- Forbes For corporate officers and other major executives in business interested in developing management insight through review of the nation's largest corporations.
- Fortune Gives top executives, and those working to reach senior positions in business information on the economic, political and social trends that affect the environment of business.
- Harvard Business Review influential magazine that publishes research and case studies on issues in corporate strategies, management, finance, regulatory policy, technology, international trends, and related subjects. Coverage dates to 1922.
- Inc. Presents articles on financial & personnel management, marketing, administration, sales and operations for executives & managers of small to mid-sized companies.
- Investor's Business Daily Daily stock market and business news, quotes, mutual fund performance, and market analysis.
- Macleans A Canadian news magazine with strong coverage of trade and business news.
- Modern Healthcare A business publication targeting executives in the healthcare industry
- New York Times & Online Edition Reports on regional, national, and international news events. Analyzes important current issues. Features articles on business, science, sports, the arts, computers, and fashion, dining, and entertainment. Several editions available including Online which contains web-exclusive content.
- Wall Street Journal (Online) & Wall Street Journal Eastern Edition Provides detailed news and commentary on political, economic, and social issues worldwide affecting the world of business from the print edition. Online edition contains web-exclusive content; coverage dates to 2012, while the Eastern Edition contains content from the print newspaper with coverage to 1984.
- Washington Post Breaking news and analysis on politics, business, world national news, entertainment more. In-depth DC, Virginia, Maryland news coverage.
- ACM Transactions on Intelligent Systems and Technology (TIST) Publishes the highest quality papers on intelligent systems, applicable algorithms and technology with a multi-disciplinary perspective.
- Big Data & Society Peer-reviewed scholarly journal that publishes interdisciplinary work principally in the social sciences, humanities and computing and their intersections with the arts and natural sciences about the implications of Big Data for societies.
- Big Data Analytics Multi-disciplinary open-access, peer reviewed journal, which welcomes cutting-edge articles describing original basic and applied work involving biologically-inspired computational accounts of all aspects of big data science analytics.
- Data Mining and Knowledge Discovery Peer-reviewed journal publishes original technical papers in both the research and practice of data mining and knowledge discovery, surveys and tutorials of important areas and techniques.
- Decision Support Systems Peer-reviewed journal publishes articles relevant to theoretical and technical issues in the support of enhanced decision making.
- Expert Systems with Applications Refereed international journal whose focus is on exchanging information relating to expert and intelligent systems applied in industry, government, and universities worldwide.
- IEEE Transactions on Knowledge and Data Engineering Informs researchers, developers, managers, strategic planners, users, and others interested in state-of-the-art and state-of-the-practice activities in the knowledge and data engineering area.
- Journal of Big Data Publishes high-quality, scholarly research papers, methodologies and case studies covering a broad range of topics, from big data analytics to data-intensive computing and all applications of big data research.
- Journal of Data Mining and Digital Humanities Peer-reviewed journal concerned with the intersection of computing and the disciplines of the humanities, with tools provided by computing such as data visualisation, information retrieval, statistics, text mining by publishing scholarly work beyond the traditional humanities.
- Social Network Analysis and Mining Peer-reviewed journal serving researchers and practitioners in academia and industry concerned with experimental and theoretical work on social network analysis and mining
- Transactions on Knowledge Discovery from Data (TKDD) Peer-reviewed journal that publishes full range of research in the knowledge discovery and analysis of diverse forms of data.