Video Games Encyclopedia - online resource that allows you to search through video games by genre, platform or theme.
Using Keywords in Databases
- Try using the following terms when searching our databases:
Video games, Videogames, Electronic games, Computer games, gaming, Internet games, online games, board games, board gamers, fantasy games, Video games industry, etc.
Our Board Game Collection
We are continuing to build our board game collection which is located in Grand River Hall in the Digital Library and Learning Commons. To search what titles we have search "game" in PRIMO, then on the left hand side of the results click "More Options" under the "Collection" facet and then click "WLU Brantford Games Collection".
Contact the Subject Librarian
Sites of Interest to Gaming
- IGN Online media company specializing in gaming and film
- Geek and Sundry Articles, reviews, videos and more related to gaming culture
- Board Game Geek Forums, reviews and more related to board games and culture
- Game Artisans of Canada
- NeoGAF Gaming forum
- Polygon Video gaming
- Gameology 2.0 Group of scholars interested in video game research
- Steam Reviews Popular online game platform's site devoted to user generated reviews of games
- The Devil's Bench Board game cafe located in Brantford that features a podcast
The following are examples of book resources available to WLU students, faculty and staff;
- "A casual revolution reinventing video games and their players" by Jesper Juul (Cambridge, MA: MIT Press) c2010 (GV1469.34.P79 J88)
- "Game play: paratextuality in contemporary board games" by Paul Booth (New York: Bloomsbury Academic) 2015 (GV1469.6.B66 2015)
- "Learning through digital game design and building in a participatory culture: an enactivist approach" by Qing Li (New York: Peter Lang) 2014 (LB1029.S53 L5)
- "Life on the screen: identity in the age of the internet" by Sherry Turkle (New York: Simon & Schuster) c1995 (QA76.9C66T87 1995)
- "Playing video games: motives, responses, and consequences" by Peter Vorderer and Jennings Bryant (Mahwah NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates) 2006 (GV1469.3.P484)
- "The functions of role-playing games: how participants create community, solve problems and explore identity" by Sarah Lynne Bowman (Jefferson NC: McFarland & Co.) c2010 (GV1202.F35 B68)
- "Video games and learning: teaching and participatory culture in the digital age" by Kurt Squire and Henry Jenkins (New York: Teachers College Press) c2011 (GV1469.3.S76 2011)
- "Video Games" by Laurie Willis (Detroit: Greenhaven Press) c2010 (GV1469.3.V526)
Also try browsing the book stacks! See how the beginning of many of these call numbers start with GV1469.3 ? Go to the library and browse those shelves for additional book suggestions.
- "Encyclopedia of Play in Today's society" by Rodney P. Carlisle (Sage Publications) 2009 DOI: http://dx.doi.org.libproxy.wlu.ca/10.4135/9781412971935.n9
- "Dictionary of Toys and Games in American Culture" by Frank Hoffman et al, (Routledge) 2013
- "Encyclopedia of Video Games the culture, the technology, and art of gaming" by Mark Wolf, (California: Greenwood) c2012 [on order]
- "Plunkett's games, apps & social media industry almanac" by Jack W. Plunkett, (Texas: Plunkett Research) 2011-
Opensource Unity Assets
- GitHub - also check out the list generated on GitHubGist for additional opensource resources for Unity assets
- Unity Assets Store - only some of the connect on this site is opensource or free
- Unity List - Unity3D opensource search engine
- Unity created tutorials on their own website
- Lynda online course on Unity 3D offered for free through the Brantford Public Library
- If you need additional help or resources while you are taking courses through Conestoga College please check out their resources page for Information Technology and Computing.