This guide will show you how to find industry/market information on trends, market share, market size, competitive forces, etc. Please note that all databases below may also be used to search for company information.
First Step: Getting Started
- Industry Canada
- Includes industry profiles. Enter industry keyword in search box.
- Associations Canada
- This resource provides a listing of Canadian Associations. Associations may provide detailed information on their respective industry. N.B. Be sure to uncheck all databases, with the exception of Associations Canada.
Canada, U.S. and international:
- Provides Canadian and US industry reports containing trends, statistics & analysis on market size, market share of major companies, industry growth rates, major market segments and key external forces affecting supply and demand within the industry. Enter in keyword.
- Provides industry reports and analysis including Porter's Five Forces analysis. Enter in keyword. Select "Industries" from drop-down menu.
- S&P NetAdvantage
- Includes Industry Surveys. Click the Industries tab.
- LexisNexis Academic
- Contains select industry reports. On main page, click "Search by Content Type", then under "Companies", click on "Dossier(Company, Executive, & Industry)". Click on the "Industry" tab. Run a search by industry keyword or SIC code. Can also browse SIC code industry hierarchy. On Industry Overview page, click "Reports".
- Thomson One
- Covers global company and industry research and forecasts. Reports are from key brokerage firms and consultants. To search for industry reports, go to the "Screening & Analysis" tab > "Research" > "Research Search". You may search by SIC, NAICS or text. * Date default set to last 90 days. ** You must use Internet Explorer for full functionality of the database.
- Offers industry/market analysis and forecasting. Select an industry from drop-down "Industries" menu or enter keyword in search box.
Note: Look for additional databases, trade journals & newspapers in the Industry Research guide.
Second Step: Finding Market Share Information
For articles related to market share, search in ABI/Inform Complete and related ProQuest Business databases or Business Source Complete. Where possible use the company name AND the phrase "market share" or "brand share" when searching in article databases. Market share information may be available in special issues of trade journals - search ABI/Inform Trade & Industry.
- Market Share Reporter
- Provides some information on market share for Canadian products, companies and/or services but main focus is U.S. and International. Search by product, company name or industry classification codes.
- Produced by Euromonitor, Passport provides data on market shares, brand shares and retail shares of companies and products globally or by country/region. Market share data is generally included in the "Market Data" section of industry reports.
- Contains market share data of leading companies by industry. Market share data is found in industry reports, under "Market Segmentation".
Third Step: Comparing Companies in an Industry
- Click on "Connect to Resource" to access Mergent Online.
- Search by SIC or NAICS code to determine the code for your industry. Use the "Code Lookup" if unsure. In this example, we'll select Primary SIC code "23".
- Then, click on (ALL) to pick all companies. Alternatively, click on only companies you are interested in comparing.
- Click on "Company Analysis List" drop down menu found in the top left corner of the page and choose "Add All Companies". Then click on "My Mergent Tools" and select the "Company Analysis List".
- You can choose all or some of the companies by clicking/highlighting them and then clicking on the > arrow. The companies you have selected will appear in the Multiple Company Report Box.
- Then, choose "Company Financials" from "Select Data Items" by clicking on the + sign. Scroll down and highlight which report items you want. Again, click on the > arrow so that they appear in the Report Items box.
- Once finished choosing the data item and companies, go to the bottom of the page and beside "Create Multiple Company Report", select a format from the drop down menu. Click on the “Create Multiple Company Report” button. A document will appear with numbers you can use for comparison with your company.