- Finding newspaper articles
- Current news sources
- News archives online
- Print & microform
- News summaries
- Alternative news
- Editorial cartoons
Finding newspaper articles
Current news sources
- Canadian News @ ProQuest
- Combined searching of Canadian Newsstream and CBCA.
- 1969 to present, depending on publication. Please log out when finished. Full-text news articles, business information and journal articles from almost 9000 worldwide sources.
- LexisNexis Academic
- Full-text documents for international news, business, law, medicine and reference.
News archives online
- British Library Newspapers
- All issues from 48 national, regional and local 19th century newspapers
- Chronicling America
- Includes full content from more than 1,400 U.S. newspapers from 1836 to 1922.
- Daily Mail: Historical Archive 1896-2004
- Complete archive of the British newspaper content, including the Atlantic Editions.
- Globe and Mail: Canada's Heritage
- 1844 to three years ago. Searchable full-page archive of the Globe and Mail from 1844. Excludes the most recent four years.
- Illustrated London News
- Historical Archive 1842-2003
- Our Ontario Newspapers
- Digitized newspapers from Ontario communities. See "About our newspaper collections" for a title list. This includes the
- The New York Times
- 1851 to three years ago. Full-text page images. Includes New York Times Book Review.
- Times Digital Archive (The Times, London)
- 1785 to 2010. Searchable full-text images of every page of the newspaper.
- Toronto Star
- 1894 to four years ago. Searchable full-page archive of The Toronto Star.
- Wikipedia: List of online newspaper archives
- International list of links to online newspaper archives on Wikipedia.
Print & microform (major titles)
- Facts on File
- 1940 to present. Brief, full-text articles for general news, biographical and statistical information.
- Keesing's Contemporary Archives
- 1931 to present. Provides summaries of world events derived from more than 1,000 daily news reports.
- 2005 to present. Please log out when finished. Concise briefs, in English, of items from Arab and Persian print, radio and television media.
- The Black Panther
- 1968 to 1980. Available in microfilm.
Digitized editorial cartoon collections
- SFU Library Editorial Cartoons Collection (Canada)
- The Simon Fraser University Library Editorial Cartoons Collection contains over 8000 original drawings published in Canadian newspapers between 1952 and the present.
- American Association of Editorial Cartoonists (AAEC) Editorial Cartoon Digital Collection (USA)
- With more than 1000 cartoons representing more than 50 cartoonists, the digital collection is still growing. Created primarily in the 1960s and 1970s, the cartoons reflect changes in American social and political attitudes and provide artistic commentary on such topics as the Civil Rights Movement, Watergate, the Vietnam War, government bureaucracy, taxes, and political corruption.
- British Cartoon Archive (UK)
- Established in 1973 as a research centre and picture library, based upon a unique archive of over 140,000 pieces of cartoon artwork.
- Other Editorial Cartoon Resources (USA, Canada, International)
- Collected list from the Univeristy of Southern Mississippi
Newspaper databases with fully scanned editorial cartoons
- 1969 to present. Please log out when finished. Select your date range--> in the Free Text box, search "editorial cartoon*" + your keyword (e.g. "editorial cartoon*" and war) --> choose the "Web News" tab above the results.
- Toronto Star: Historical
- 1894 to four years ago. Select your date range --> select "Editorial/Opinion/Letters/Editorial Cartoon" --> search "cartoon" + your keyword (e.g. war and cartoon).
- New York Times - Historical
- 1851 to three years ago. Select "More Search Options" --> "Document Type" --> "Editorical Cartoon".
Newspaper databases with citations only to editorial cartoons
Find these cartoons in the digitized or microfilm versions of the named papers
- Canadian News
- Select "More Search Options" --> "Document Type" --> "Editorial Cartoon".
Photographs from Newspapers
- Toronto Telegram
- Published from 1876 to 1971, this digitized collection from York University Archives, spans from the 1930s to 1970.