About this Guide
This guide was created for EN190G students. It provides information about searching for scholarly sources for the Persuasive Essay Assignment.
- To access online resources from off campus, login with your Laurier Network Account or OneCard barcode and last name
- Keep track of good sources when you find them by taking notes so that it will be easier to reference the sources later on
Searching for Scholarly Sources
Search the library catalogue for books using Advanced Search. Navigate to the Books+ tab.
- How to Find Scholarly Books (video: 3:04)
Search the library catalogue for articles using Advanced Search. Navigate to the Articles+ tab. Remember to click "Peer-reviewed" on the left-hand side of the search results to narrow results.
Not sure if your source is scholarly? Check out How Can I Tell if My Source is Scholarly? (video: 4:21)
Citing Sources in MLA, 8th Ed.
You'll find the MLA Handbook at Laurier Library (LB2369 .G53 2016).
It's also important to know when to cite. Understanding Plagiarism (video: 4:48) is an essential academic skill.
Did you know you can have one-on-one or small group research consultations with your librarian? Drop in or make an appointment. Please get in touch, I'll be happy to help!
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone: 519-884-0710 ext. 4973
- Office: Library - L312