Surface Web and Deep Web
- Surface web: The region of the World Wide Web that anyone with Internet connect can access for free.
- Deep web: The region of the World Wide Web that requires passwords or subscriptions to access. By some estimates, the deep web is 400 times larger than the surface web. It contains specialized, academic search engines as well as scholarly articles from peer-reviewed academic journals..
Deep Web Search Engines (also know as "databases")
Psychology Search Engines
PsycINFO provides citations, most with abstracts, to journal articles, dissertations, reports, English-language book chapters and books, and other scholarly documents in the field of psychology as well as citations relevant for medicine, education, social work, law, criminology and organizational behaviour.
Phrase operators: using double quotes
Put a phrase in double qoutes
"climate change": will search article records for the whole phrase "climate change"
"water reduction education": will search article records for the whole phrase "water reduction education"
communi*: searches for words starting with "communi". Will return "community" or "communities"
"climate change" OR "global warming": Will search for articles with either the phrase "climate change" or "global warming". This is great when you aren't sure which phrase or word might be used.
water NEAR/10 education: searches for articles where water and education are within 10 words of each other
garden NEAR/3 community: searches for articles where garden and community are within 3 words of each other
Environment Search Engines
GreenFILE offers information covering all aspects of human impact to the environment. Its collection of scholarly, government and general-interest titles includes content on the environmental effects of individuals, corporations and local/national governments, and what can be done at each level to minimize these effects. Multidisciplinary by nature, GreenFILE draws on the connections between the environment and a variety of disciplines such as agriculture, education, law, health and technology. Topics covered include global climate change, green building, pollution, sustainable agriculture, renewable energy, recycling, and more.
Business Search Engines
Comprehensive deep web search engine, with citations and full-text content, for scholarly business journals, including the fields of marketing, management, accounting, finance and economics. Also includes books, reference works, conference proceedings, case studies, market research reports, country profiles, and other information.
This searches the region of the deep web that contains current events, business, science, the arts, and academic information as produced in Canada indexing over a thousand periodicals and daily news sources, plus several hundred available in full text.
This deep web search engine searches citations and abstracts for business and management publications, many of which are available in full-text or full-image. It incorporates management, industry and company-specific information of both a practical and theoretical nature.
Newspaper Search Engines
Important Environmental Psychology Journals
- Journal of Environmental Psychology (new window)
- Environment and Behavior (new window)
- The Journal of Environmental Education (new window)
- Environmental Education Research (new window)
Arrived in 2017
Ecopsychology: Science, Totems, and the Technological Species (can be borrowed from University of Waterloo library)
Arrived in 2018
Video tutorials (with transcripts)
- Finding journal article when you only have the title
- Finding books
- Creating a search strategy
- Identifying Concepts Related to a Topic
- How to cite in APA
- Mark Weiler
- Feel free to email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Available by appointments by phone, Skype, or face-to-face
Library user services desk
- 519-884-0710 x3222
- online Ask Us chat box
- Available from library opening to midnight