- What is get it! Laurier?
- What is SFX?
- Who has access to get it! Laurier?
- Why can't I see the get it! Laurier button?
- Why don't I get full-text for some items?
- Why are there several windows when I use get it! Laurier?
- Why is there more than one link for full-text?
- Sometimes I only get to the journal or the publisher site instead of the full-text. Why does this happen?
- Why does nothing appear after I've clicked on th get it! Laurier button?
- What do I do when I get a "bad URL" or "Error 404", or some other "not found" message?
- How can I obtain further assistance?
What is get it! Laurier
get it! Laurier is a library service which links database citations to full-text articles (if available) and other related services available through the Laurier Library. When you see the get it! Laurier button in an electronic resource, click on the button to see a menu of options:
- View the full-text of the article if the library has a subscription
- Automatically search the library catalogue to see if the library has the journal or book
- Access other library services (Ask a librarian, borrowing items from other libraries, etc.)
What is SFX?
Developed by the Ex Libris Group, and purchased through the Ontario Scholars Portal developed by the Ontario Council of University Libraries, SFX is the underlying OpenURL software behind get it! Laurier.
Who has access to get it! Laurier?
All Laurier faculty, staff and students can access get it! Laurier. It is available on campus and from off-campus if you first log in through Connecting from off-campus.
Why can't I see the get it! Laurier button?
Why don't I get full-text for some items?
- the journal is not published in electronic format
- the library does not have a subscription to the electronic format
- the library has a subscription, but there is a technical problem with get it! Laurier
- the most recent issue is not yet available from the publisher's site
If displayed, click on the TRELLIS link to see if the library has a print subscription or an electronic subscription not available through get it! Laurier.
Why are there several windows when I use get it! Laurier?
get it! Laurier opens three windows for each article: first you see a menu screen; selecting a "service" opens a second window; and following a link to full text opens a third window. Remember to close the windows when finished.
Why is there more than one link for full-text?
The library subscribes to a number of databases and electronic journal packages, and some journals are available from more than one place. If one link is not working, you can try another. Please note that we try not to duplicate resources--however, we often have limited choices about the contents of packages.
Sometimes I only get to the journal or the publisher site instead of the full-text. Why does this happen?
Unfortunately, it's not always possible to configure the link to go directly to the full-text article. Some publishers only allow linking to the journal or to their home page rather than the actual article. Look for the journal you need and follow the links to the volume and page for your article.
Why does nothing appear after I've clicked on the get it! Laurier button?
A pop-up disabler will prevent get it! Laurier from functioning properly. Simply enable pop-ups for the site.
What do I do when I get a "bad URL" or "Error 404", or some other "not found" message?
- the article is recent and has yet to be loaded on the site, or,
- the get it! Laurier links are incorrect and need to be updated.
Please contact us to report the problem.