- Finding market trends using Passport GMID
- Finding consumer buying behaviour using Business Source Complete
- Finding competitive analysis using Market Share Reporter
- Finding financial information using Mergent Online
- Additional marketing resources
Finding market trends using Passport GMID
- Connect to Passport GMID. Accept the Terms and Conditions.
- Search for "smartphones" in the search bar at the top right-hand corner of the page.
- Select "Filter Analysis" and scroll down to "By Geography" and choose Canada to narrow your results.
- Access the applicable report, entitled "Mobile Phones in Canada". Scroll down the list to view other relevant reports.
Finding consumer buying behaviour using Business Source Complete
- Connect to Business Source Complete.
- Complete a Boolean search for "smartphones" AND "consumer behavio*r" under subject terms. Click the question mark icon for additional search tips.
- If you get too many results, narrow your search by publication date, source type, or geography. These filters are found at the left hand side of the page.
- Scan your results for relevant articles, including an article entitled: "Millennials Value Smartphone Use Above Personal Hygiene: B of A Survey" for information on the attitudes and behaviours of consumers concerning smartphones.
Finding competitive analysis using Market Share Reporter
- Connect to Market Share Reporter.
- Search for "smartphones" in the keyword search box.
- Access the report "Top Smartphone Makers Worldwide, 2014".
Finding financial information using Mergent Online
- Connect to Mergent Online.
- Search for a company, i.e. "Blackberry" under "company search" and click "go".
- Select "Blackberry" to access the company profile.
- Once viewing the company profile, click the "company financials" tab at the top of the screen. You can then use the options in the drop-down menus to select the particular financial information you would like to access. Choose from balance sheets, income statements, etc... and set the time period you would like to display. For further help with finding company financials in Mergent Online watch this video tutorial.
Additional marketing resources
- Connect to Canada’s Information Resource Centre.
- Limit your search to only show results from Associations Canada.
- Conduct a search by entering the search term "mobile" in the search box beside the "Search Words Anywhere" field then click the "Search Now" button.
- A list of results for Canadian associations that deal with mobile phones are displayed. From here, select the "Canadian Wireless Telecommunications Association" website from the search results. From this association website select “Facts & Figures” for industry information.
A UK based online portal that offers a number of online resources including reports and articles related to market research. Includes global coverage but with a strong emphasis on Europe. To locate market research articles and reports see the left-hand menu and select “Market Research Findings”, then scroll down and select "Smart Phone/Personal Computer/Tablets" or “Telecommunications”. There are a few reports listed dedicated to the Canadian Smartphone marketplace.