- Finding market trends using Passport GMID
- Finding competitive analysis using ABI/Inform Trade & Industry
- Finding market segmentation using Marketline Advantage
- Finding financial information using Mergent Online
- Finding industry "environmental factors" using Associations Canada
Finding market trends using Passport GMID
- Connect to Passport GMID. Accept the Terms and Conditions.
- Search for “insurance and pension funding” in the search bar at the top right-hand corner of the page.
- Access the report: “Insurance and Pension Funding in Canada: ISIC 66”.
Finding competitive analysis using ABI/Inform Trade & Industry
- Connect to ABI/Inform Trade & Industry.
- On the homepage select “Browse” then select “Business Monitor International (BMI) Industry Reports” under “Industry and Market Research”.
- Scroll down and expand “Insurance Industry” and select “Canada Insurance Report”.
- View a series of quarterly Canadian insurance reports. Access the “Full-text” and then scroll down to the “Contents” section to find relevant information including the competitive landscape listed under “Market Overview”.
Finding market segmentation using Marketline Advantage
- Connect to Marketline Advantage.
- Conduct a search for "insurance” and select "Industries" from the drop-down menu before clicking search.
- In the right-hand toolbar, refine your results “By Geography” by selecting “North America” and then “Canada”. View relevant reports related to the insurance industry in Canada.
- Select a report and note the “Table of Contents” on the right-hand side for relevant information, including the section on “Market Segmentation”.
Finding financial information using Mergent Online
- Connect to Mergent Online.
- Search for a company, i.e. "Manulife Financial Corp." under "Company Search" and click "Go" or select the correct company from the auto-generated list to access the company profile.
- Once viewing the company profile, click the "Company Financials" tab. You can then use the options in the drop-down menus to select the particular financial information you would like to access. Choose from balance sheets, income statements, etc... and set the time period you would like to display. For further help with finding company financials in Mergent Online watch this video tutorial.
Finding industry "environmental factors" using Associations Canada
- Connect to Canada’s Information Resource Centre.
- Limit your search to only show results from Associations Canada.
- Conduct a search by entering the search term "insurance" in the search box beside the "Search Words Anywhere" field then click the "Search Now" button.
- A list of results for Canadian associations that deal with insurance are displayed. From here, select the "Canadian Association of Financial Institutions in Insurance” website from the search results. This website provides useful industry information that will assist you in determining the industry's environmental factors. Under the “Resources” tab find helpful links for regulatory information for the insurance industry.