Spaces to be productive
- Hours: (open 24 hours during exam period)
- Comfortable chairs, private desks, and open tables for group work
- Wheelchair accessible and gender neutral washrooms on every floor
- Bookable group study rooms (reserve room 7 days in advance)
- Students registered with Accessible Learning Centre can reserve individual study rooms (6 hours per day)
- Library is food and drink friendly
- Second Cup cafe with coffee, tea, and snacks on main floor
- Cultural events in the Library to help rejuvenate
- Art gallery on main floor
- Art exhibits on 4th, 5th, and 6th floors
On and off-campus access
- When you are on-campus and connected to the Internet, you will automatically be connected to the deep web
- Students can access deep web of academic resources from off-campus
- Start your research at the library website
- When you are about to access the deep web, the library will prompt you for your username and password
- Trouble shooting off-campus access
Accessing quality academic resources
Students should never pay to access academic resources, whether journal articles or books. If the Library does not have the items in our collections, we will acquire it or borrow it from another library.
Scenario 1. Finding an article when you have its reference
Scenario 2. Finding articles on a topic
- You will need to use a specialized search engine (also called a database) to find academic articles
- PsycINFO is a search engine (also called a database) that provides citations, most with abstracts, to journal articles, dissertations, reports, English-language book chapters and books, and other scholarly documents in the field of psychology as well as citations relevant for medicine, education, social work, law, criminology and organizational behaviour.
- Search tips for PsycINFO
Use double quotes
Put a phrase in double quotes to search for an exact phrase
"climate change": will search article records for the whole phrase "climate change"
"water reduction education": will search article records for the whole phrase "water reduction education"
Wildcard (using the asterisk)
communi*: searches for words starting with "communi". Will return resulting "community" or "communities"
"climate change" OR "global warming": Will search for articles with either the phrase "climate change" or "global warming". This is great when you aren't sure which phrase or word might be used.
water NEAR/10 education: searches for items where water and education are within 10 words of each other
garden NEAR/3 community: searches for items where garden and community are within 3 words of each other
- Comprehensive search through major Psychology databases.
Other academic search engines
Scenario 3. Finding articles that cite another article
- Google Scholar is best
- Enter article's title and search for it
- If other articles cite the article, a "cited by" link will appear under the title
Interlibrary loans: Accessing items from other libraries
- If the library doesn't have an article or a book, we can order it from another library for you for free
- "How to" instructions: video tutorial and transcript
Video tutorials (with transcripts)
- Finding journal article when you only have the title
- Finding books
- Creating a search strategy
- Interlibrary loan
- Identifying Concepts Related to a Topic
- How to cite in APA
- Mark Weiler, MLIS, PhD
- Feel free to email email@example.com
- Available by appointments by phone, Skype, face-to-face, or virtual meetings
Library user services desk
- 519-884-0710 x3222
- online Ask Us chat
- Both phone and chat are staffed by person in the library and are open until midnight (weekdays) and 11:30pm (weekends)