Research Critique Assignment: Finding research articles
Break your task into component parts. You will need to find:
- one research article, not a critical essay or review paper
- in a peer-reviewed Communication Studies journal
- on a type of physical or mental illness or disability
- published between 2000-2017
- employing survey, content analysis, discourse analysis, ethnography, or interview
Search in Communication Studies Journals
- Go to the Communication Studies Subject page
- Select the Communication Studies @ EBSOhost database
- Narrow your search to only the Communication & Mass Media Complete database
- Select "Choose Databases" above the search fields
- Select Communication & Mass Media Complete from the list of databases; deselect all others, then OK
- type Communication in the first search box and then select the SO Publication Name in the field drop-down menu
- click the Scholarly (Peer Reviewed) Journals check box
Search for an article on a type of mental or physical illness or disability
- add a term such as "mental illness" or "heart disease"
Limit your results to articles between 2000-2017
- Use the "Published Date" section to select particular year ranges, or the Limit To section of the results screen on the left-hand side of the page
Search for an article that employs survey, content analysis, discourse analysis, ethnography, or interview methods
- type in your specific methodology in the search box at the bottom of the search section, e.g. "content analysis"
- Your search will look like: communication AND "mental illness" AND "content analysis"
- Don't limit to Full Text
- Sort results by relevance