- What are they?
- How can they be found?
- eBook Collections
- eBook Collections: Start Here
- eBook Collections: Other collections
- eBook Collections: Encyclopedias
- eBook Collections: Open access free eBooks
What are they?
eBooks (or electronic books) are, as the name suggests, simply books in electronic format, typically online. Although many in Laurier Library's collection are available to any number of readers at a time, some may be restricted to a certain number and may require use of an ereader (or ebook reader, such as Adobe Digital Editions). Some types of books and subjects are better suited to accessing electronically but some are better in print. Laurier Librarians use their collection development and subject expertise to decide which format is appropriate for our patrons.
How can they be found?
Most of our ebooks can be found in the Primo catalogue, along with print titles and other materials. Search for them as you would any other book, using the "Books" limit under "Show only" on the left side. You can also limit to "Online resource" to restrict results to electronic titles. (Note: ebook content can be found in both the "Books +" and "Articles +" tabs.)
The majority of our ebook titles are discoverable on their native platform. See the collections listed below to find more electronic books or search the full text.
For help, see:
- Finding eBooks (video tutorial, 2 min)
- Finding Books: Using the Primo Library Catalogue (video tutorial, 7 min)
- Using Scholars Portal eBooks (video tutorial, 4 min)
- More tutorials
- ProQuest Ebook Central
- Ebook platform for many full-text scholarly, trade, and university press titles acquired by Laurier Library.
- Scholars Portal Books
- Electronic books from various publishers and coverage various subjects.
- University Press Scholarship Online
- Large ebook collection on a wide variety of topics from various university presses.
- ACLS Humanities E-Book
- A collection of ebooks in humanities and social sciences.
- Cambridge Histories
- The complete collection of this series covering history of Britain, science, art, politics and religion among others.
- Colloquium Digital Library of Life Sciences
- Collection of ebooks covering topics such as cell and molecular biology and bio-medicine, including the neurosciences.
- Conference Board of Canada: E-LIBRARY
- Research reports on public policy, economics and management.
- Canadian books and public documents.
- eBook Collection (EBSCOhost)
- Collection of several thousand full-text electronic books on a variety of topics. (Only one user per book at a time.)
- MyiLibrary Ebook Portal
- The ebook portal leads to thousands of books from Cambridge University Press, Oxford University Press, Taylor and Francis, and a few hundred books from Springer. Most of the books were published between 2005 and 2007.
- NBER Working Papers
- Accesses NBER working papers in PDF format.
- Past Masters
- Full-text authoritative works by seminal figures in the Humanities.
- Full-text books and book chapters from the American Psychological Association.
- Thousands of books and journals primarily in the sciences, published by Springer.
- Sage Knowledge
- Social sciences books by Sage Publications. Primarily Sociology, Education, and Business & Management.
- Gale Virtual Reference Library
- Selection of reference works in the sciences and social sciences.
- Oxford Reference
- A collection of online dictionaries and encyclopedias on a wide variety of topics.
Open access free eBooks
- Thousands of poems, novels, plays and other works in the public domain.
- Digital Book Index
- Thousands of full-text books in Humanities, Social Sciences and Sciences. Most are freely available.
- doab: directory of open access books
- Academic, peer reviewed books in the Humanities and Social Sciences.
- Google Books
- Searches the contents of a growing number of books. Link to "find this book" to see if owned at Laurier.
- HathiTrust Digital Library
- Growing collection of digitized texts from a consortium of American research universities.
- Internet Archive: eBooks and Texts
- More than two million freely available books, including novels, historical texts and academic titles.
- National Academies Press
- Over 4,000 free PDF ebooks in science, engineering and medicine. Requires free registration.
- University of Oxford Text Archive
- Humanities texts in more than 25 languages. Most are freely available.
- Project Gutenberg
- Thousands of free electronic books. Focuses on literary works in the public domain in the U.S.