- Feb 27, 2018 - 7:00 to 8:00
- Library Instruction room 3-314
These days it is difficult to escape the tragic news of yet another story referring to the growing opioid epidemic.
Join students, faculty, and guests in the library for a live broadcast where American Chemical Society (ACS) specialists will explain what makes these compounds so addictive, the treatments and medications that are being used to help those who suffer, and profile the work that chemists are doing to make prescription pain killers safer and harder to abuse. You will be able to interact with an online expert panel of medical experts and chemists, to discover why this problem has become so widespread and how the power of chemistry can be used to fight the rising tide of addiction.
What you will learn
- How the current opioid crisis and epidemic came to be
- What are the neurobiological pathways in addiction and the role of dopamine
- What are the current clinical pharmacotherapeutic approaches to opioid treatment
- How opioid addiction differs from other types of addictions
- Outlook for new treatment options and innovations in biotech that are on the horizon
Require more information?
Contact Debbie Chaves, firstname.lastname@example.org x 3417